Breeding AI vs Live Cover

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breeding AI vs Live Cover

I am breeding my mare in the next week or so.
    The stud only does AI. I have never bred this way.
    What do I need to know?

Yes, all tests have been done and all the prep work taken care of.

Just want to know pros and cons.

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Proud owner of:
    Pleasure for Sure "Bubba" 19 year old Thoroughbred,
    This Ladys a Dream "Ginger" 5 year old AQHA,
    Ky Blue Wrangler "Cody" 5 year old AQHA,
    Time to be Invited "Issy" 8 year old AQHA,
    and a rotten German Shepherd and a Ragdoll!

My experience is with cattle, but there are general rules that apply.

The biggest thing with AI is the paperwork and the fact that you might not get a foal at all. Live cover is always more successful, but not always practical. A calmer mare will be more successful. Stress reduces the receptiveness during AI, so keep her calm and relaxed.

If this stallion is in Florida, make sure you know WHY they won't do live cover. If it's temperament....beware. That could be the temperament of your foal. If it's a soundness issue...beware. That could reflect the soundness of your foal.

When the tech comes out to breed your mare, verify the straws (with our cattle, the tech has us verify twice before breeding). I imagine your horse registry will require a genetic test from the foal, so, keep the empty straws in a ziplock in your freezer, in case the resulting foal does not seem to be from the desired sire. A little material left behind in the straw can be tested by your registry's lab to find a match. It would be a shame to end up with a foal you can't register after all the trouble you went through. Believe it or not, I went through this with a calf. I had to play who's-your-daddy until I found a genetic match. It was the wrong straw. Luckily, it was the same breed of cattle, but not the bull I wanted.
    Does working cattle count as playing with your food?

Comment

Thank you for the input Little Cow. Its a friend of mine that has the stud. He is a barrel horse on the circuit and traveling all over the country, hence the AI only. She never knows where she will be from one week to the next.
      I have only done live cover, so hoping this works. Will be the mares 2nd foal. She will be bred towards the end of next week. Yes, I am late, but its my foal and I am not trying to futurity it or anything like that. It will be my personal horse. I just want to get a baby out of this mare before she has to be put down. She had a career ending injury and our time is limited.

Proud owner of:
      Pleasure for Sure "Bubba" 19 year old Thoroughbred,
      This Ladys a Dream "Ginger" 5 year old AQHA,
      Ky Blue Wrangler "Cody" 5 year old AQHA,
      Time to be Invited "Issy" 8 year old AQHA,
      and a rotten German Shepherd and a Ragdoll!

Comment

Best of luck to you for a healthy foal.

When you say your time is limited, is it just your mare's age, or she is a bad way?
        Does working cattle count as playing with your food?

Comment

Working...
        X