Noisy neighbors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy neighbors

My mare lives on my property for approximately 6 years. I have always enjoyed having her here, especially because she has health issues and I can monitor her closely. She is 20 years old and retired. However, I now have made the decision to board her out due to my neighbors. They are very inconsiderate and my mare is frightened of them. They light up large fires, shoot off fireworks frequently, drive ATV's outside her paddock area (often without mufflers), throw things into her paddock, have large parties, etc., etc., etc.. Prior to them living here (they've been here now 3 years), my horse enjoyed resting outside in the sun, walking the perimeter of her paddock, etc. Now, she is frightened of every noise, stares towards their property obsessively and will leave her stall for a short way, then run back inside. She is spooky on cross ties, so I hold her to hose her down and she will bolt away from me and run back into her stall. This is a sad situation for her and for me. Anybody else experience something like this?

How horrible! I'm sorry your mare and you had to deal with all that!
    sigpic
    Geniune Bar Keeper aka Cash Man
    Skips Stormy Twist aka Peanut

Comment

Oh that's a bummer

Luckily my annoying neighbors are two properties away so they can't throw things into my horse's paddock or anything, but they do enjoy shooting guns, noisy vehicles, occasional bonfire, etc. I am lucky that this has worked to desensitize my horse to such things pretty well, but lately they have this remote controlled car thingy they like to race around and that will still get him racing around sometimes. Is there no talking to your neighbors? Can you move her paddock at all? Plant some trees?

Comment

Do you have other neighbors that are also bothered by these awful people? If so, get the neighbors to rally and join forces.
        My horse is good for my soul....

Comment

Thank you for your responses. Just today, I picked up two more baseballs from her paddock. This is just a bad group, the Sheriff's Office is frequently there, most recently for a drug sting. So, there is no talking to them. I will talk to someone tomorrow about moving my horse onto their property, for my peace of mind and hopefully to bring peace to my horse. I appreciate the support of this group.

Comment

Aww Hope you can get something figured out!

Comment

That sucks! Can you put up a privacy fence?
              Does working cattle count as playing with your food?

Comment

Is there any border trees you can plant, my in laws had these pines, I can’t remember the exact name of them but they sort of resembled a soft Christmas tree, they grew fast and compact, my FIL would trim them up and he created a pretty good “wall” that kept his annoying neighbors from doing crap.
                sigpic
                Geniune Bar Keeper aka Cash Man
                Skips Stormy Twist aka Peanut

Comment

I think they are Leyland Cypress. They do well here and are an evergreen.

Comment

I have a 6 foot stockade fence up between the paddock and the neighbor's yard. But it doesn't cut the noise, the arguing, the muffler-less vehicles, etc.. So much more that I won't write here. Anyway, I have her being picked up tomorrow, tentatively, to stay at another barn. She won't have an indoor stall there, but she's been there in the past and has adjusted. It will be a difficult time for me, having her leave and hoping she is ok at another barn. I so appreciate all of your input and support. I will follow up and let you know how she is doing. My nerves need a rest.

Comment

So, my horse is off of my property now. I see her every day, as I feed her in the afternoon.(the barn feeds her in the morning.) It is sad that the stall is empty but I am trying to adjust to this change. She seems calmer and I believe she is better off.

Comment

That just sucks. But I'm glad she is better and you are less stressed.

Comment

Working...
                        X