FlaHorse Bulletin Board
HOME PAGE | BARN SALE | BULLETIN BOARD | EVENTS CALENDAR | CLUB PAGE | TRAIL GUIDE | LINKS | CONTACT

Go Back   FlaHorse Bulletin Board > Bulletin Board > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2011, 07:22 AM

Default Western saddle fit questions

Instead of just hunting for the perfect saddle pad, now I am pondering saving up for a new saddle...

One that has caught my eye is the Cashel Trail saddle built by Martin Saddlery on their AXIS tree. I have read good reviews of both tree and saddle but was wondering if anyone here had any experience and/or knowledge of this saddle?

My horse is not wide, but is not done filling out, I am just liking how my saddle fits him less and less

Last edited by froglander; 02-01-2011 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Changed title as it's not only about that saddle
Old 01-27-2011, 08:30 PM

When I tried this saddle two years ago for my Rocky it wouldn't fit at all. WAY too much rock in the saddle. It was plenty wide enough though. She generally requires fairly wide saddle to accommodate her shoulders and round barrel. My best advice is to try it on your horse FIRST. Don't buy sight unseen.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:34 PM

I'm trying to find some way to try one on my horse. He's not /wide/ I just had liked what I'd read about flare through the shoulder and stuff. Thank you for the feedback on it
Old 01-28-2011, 08:31 AM

I love my Cashel trail saddle (I brought the one from Loganisle) It's well made and very comfortable and a lot lighter than most leather western saddles. Is it wide? Definately, but it fit my horse since she was quite fat at the time. As she became fitter she lost some weight and I was concerned about the saddle being too wide. Not that it was in danger of sitting on her withers or anything, but mainly that if she were to make any sudden moves or turns it felt like she could spin out from underneath the saddle. This is probably due to the cinch being more forward on the tree than I would prefer.
I think the Axis tree is a good idea, I probably just need a semi-QH bars instead of full and I don't know if that is available with this saddle (I haven't checked)

However, now that my horse has been diagnosed with advance navicular disease, walking on trails is all I'll be doing and I like the saddle just fine for that...she's back to being fat and wide backed again.

The circle Y trail saddle is similar in looks and feel, with the gorgeous glove soft leather. If I were in the market that's probably the saddle I would consider. Or a good used close contact cutting saddle...I think they are beautiful.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:55 AM

I see that they do make two different widths, you have the wider one?

I rode in my saddle last night (I still need to try it with a back cinch) and I'm going to try my english saddle tonight to make sure it isn't just my imagination. I know how to post, but for some reason it is really awkward in my western saddle. It's like the saddle is bouncing up to meet me mid-post or something. So while I'd rather post on his still young back, I ended up sitting because I think it was easier for both of us.

I wish there was a store that carried consignment sadddles around here!
Old 01-28-2011, 12:28 PM

Posting in a western saddle is awkward for me too, however, it was much easier in a cutting saddle, the seat is much roomier. Shortening the stirrups helped too. You may need to do that (unless you are accustomed to posting with dressage length leathers).
The western saddle may have your feet/legs placed too far forward which may cause you to "land" too soon.
If you do find that the rear of the saddle is lifting up and meeting you on the way down then that may be that "rocking" effect Loganisle mentioned. I don't think the rear cinch is designed to help that, but perhaps some more knowledgable (than me) western riders can help answer that.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure the Cashel saddle I have is full qh bars. It's really wide.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:34 PM

I've been able to post in other western saddles, and I did have a similar issue with another saddle I was borrowing. No my stirrups aren't too long, I've actually been pondering lengthening them a hole but haven't yet. The saddle puts my leg a bit further forward than I would like, but not so much that I wouldn't be able to post to the trot. It really feels like the way the saddle fits my horse the back bounces up as I'm posting, making it rather awkward so I end up just sitting. Going to the tack store after work today to see what options they have
Old 01-28-2011, 03:23 PM

Wow. If you are really looking to spend $1200 on a saddle there are lots better choices IMHO.

For $950 you can have one custom made with the new Steele Evo tree.
It also comes with a trial period and money back gaurantee. BarbG on here has one and it is a very nice saddle. I'm saving up for one myself.

You can also have one made on a tree that you buy. The Steele saddle tree company has the FITS system. They have several forms that are identical to most of the saddle trees they make. You buy one form and just keep swapping them out until you find the tree that best fits the horse's back.
You can than either buy that tree from Steele OR get with a company that uses Steele trees (Dakota, Martin,Big Horn, Crates, Reinsman, etc.) and get a saddle that's made on that tree.

Dakota I know for sure is more than happy to build semi-custom saddles as is Riders Choice for under $1000.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:10 PM

Default One that fits

That saddle just caught my eye one day.

What I am really looking for is something that fits. From what I could find, the Cashel Trail saddle is made by Martin Saddlery and from their website, it appears they are making their own trees, the AXIS ones, not using the Steele trees.

I have used the Steele fitting forms before, just not on this horse. I like how Crates saddles fit on a lot of horses, when I had the opportunity to try 3 different ones on him, none fit quite right, but that was also a year and a half ago and at this point and he's grown some. There was one I tried that I thought was going to do the trick just setting it on him. It belonged to a friend of mine, was a 2221 Crates Reiner, and it was the first saddle I had set on him that sat level without a built-up pad. Unfortunately, when I went to lunge him in it first the back was bouncing a LOT I haven't seen any Crates saddles since being down here in south Florida.

I can't get a new (to me) saddle until I sell my old one. It's not a bad saddle, just doesn't fit my pony right.

Here is a pic of his back that was taken this past weekend.

We are still working on building muscle in his topline, a better fitting saddle couldn't hurt.

Planning to ride him in my old A/P saddle tonight and see how that goes.

(Just to compare, this is what his back looked like this past summer. It was driving me crazy that he was that thin at the boarding stable I just wasn't able to move him until September )

Old 01-28-2011, 09:04 PM

Default Cashell saddle

I bought this very same saddle for my 16.1 hd appendix he is pretty fat flat top
line and I was having a hard time fitting saddles to him..But this one fit him great and I love the seat for me..I ride for at 2 to 3 hours trail riding and ring work and this saddle fits my horse perfectly.. I ordered mine from
www.culturedcowboy.com.. This company has several other brands of saddles as well.. But I like it because it is light enough to put on my horses back as he is pretty tall and I am not..

Cathy Tuell