Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benadryl for horses?

Default Benadryl for horses?

I know that you can give benadryl for dogs...how about horses and, if so, what is the dosage?

Carol Hunter & Blossom
    aka Miss Judgement 1978 AQHA mare

Per my vet:
    You can give 10 times thye human dose safely. Therefore 20 caplets/tablets. 12 hour intervals.
    I usually give 16-18 when Champ is having an issue with hives.
    I don't give it on a daily basis, only as needed for severe reactions.
    I no longer bother with the liquid, as it can be quite expensive. I buy the generic caplets at Costco; 400 for under $4.
    Do a quick search here, and you'll find it has been heavily discussed.

If you're looking for a "maintenance" dosage, I'd start with 4 caps twice a day, and modify accordingly.
    The caplets/tablets dissolve quickly in any liquid.

Thanks!!! A new friend just told me her horse has been stung by hornets and she didn't know what to do...I thought that I remembered the board discussing it.

Carol Hunter & Blossom

Yea, unfortunately Champ has caused me to become well versed in Benadryl,lol.
    He is allergic to the vespids; wasps,bees, deer flies....
    The large dose I quoted is what I use. He can get 2-3 stings, and look like an alligator!

My vet recommends childrens liquid benadryl and once brought me the walmart brand (Wal-dryl). He told me to give Tristan who weighs 1200 lbs. a dose of 4 ozs. Childrens because they like the flavor. It's cherry.

Thanks again. I will forward all this to her. Hopefully, he will show improvement on his own but this is great info to have in your tool kit.

'preciate everyones input!

Thanks!

Carol Hunter & Blossom

Quote Originally Posted by MOVOS View Post
    My vet recommends childrens liquid benadryl and once brought me the walmart brand (Wal-dryl). He told me to give Tristan who weighs 1200 lbs. a dose of 4 ozs. Childrens because they like the flavor. It's cherry.
    That's why it gets so expensive. It takes basically a half of a bottle per dose, and at $10 or so,it adds up too fast. If you have to give several doses, the dollars really pile up.
    I even verified my info with a pharmicist, although I trust my vet completely.
    I always carry the caplets in the saddlebags, as I too, am allergic to the same bugs.
    V

Quote Originally Posted by jovico View Post
    That's why it gets so expensive. It takes basically a half of a bottle per dose, and at $10 or so,it adds up too fast. If you have to give several doses, the dollars really pile up.
    I even verified my info with a pharmicist, although I trust my vet completely.
    I always carry the caplets in the saddlebags, as I too, am allergic to the same bugs.
    V
    The Wal-dryl isn't that expensive. Good old Wal-Mart. But you are right. 4 oz. is half a bottle. I only keep it on hand for an emergency like if he ever had trouble breathing again, or I have used it a couple of times when he got horrible hives.

Quote Originally Posted by jovico View Post
    Per my vet:
    You can give 10 times thye human dose safely. Therefore 20 caplets/tablets. 12 hour intervals.
    I usually give 16-18 when Champ is having an issue with hives.
    I don't give it on a daily basis, only as needed for severe reactions.
    I no longer bother with the liquid, as it can be quite expensive. I buy the generic caplets at Costco; 400 for under $4.
    Do a quick search here, and you'll find it has been heavily discussed.
    What mg. are they?

They say money can't make you happy... but I'd sure like to try to prove them wrong!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast